How to change Alexa’s name and voice
Alexa is a virtual personal assistant that has been equipped to listen to the voice commands that you give and gives a contextual response which would help you get the job you are supposed to get done in a day. Alexa is also equipped to listen to the track on Spotify, shop, create to-do lists. It also helps in controlling the loT products. Alexa, the virtual personal assistant, was popularized by Amazon Echo which acts as a speaker and a smart hub in your home. It is supposed to compete with Apple’s Siri and Google Now etc. and is a cloud-based application that is continually being updated to become more intelligent.
Breaking the monotony
Having a virtual personal assistant is indeed a great idea and sure helps you improve your productivity. But, it sometimes could make you feel like a robot giving commands and receiving all too familiar response. This might sometimes deter you from providing certain comments. But, instead of this, Amazon has made it possible for you to change the name and voice making it a welcome change for you to experience variations that would help break the monotony. You have an option for changing Alexa voice and name.
How to change Alexa’s name?
Though you do not have the freedom to use a custom name for the personal assistant from Amazon at present, you can indeed change the wake word that tells her to wake up and start listening to commands and questions. You can do it easily without even having to meddle with the settings. You can ask Alexa to do it for you.
- Ask: “ Can we change your name, Alexa?”
- The response she would give is asking whether you want to call her Amazon, Computer or Echo.
- You can respond with the name you prefer
- In case you decide you do not want to change the name you can also say cancel and continue with the name Alexa.
Changing the name in the app
If you are away from the speaker and want to change the wake word/name, you could use the app that you have in your smartphone or tab to initiate the setup. The steps include
- Launching the Alexa app or visit https://alexa.amazon.com on any desktop computer.
- Tapping on the “Hamburger/menu button,” you can identify this button that is symbolized by three horizontal lines
- Choosing the “settings” option in the menu.
- Tap the echo device for which you want the name to be changed.
- The next step involves scrolling down the list and choosing the option “wake word”.
- If this is the first time you are attempting to change the name, you will find the name Alexa there. Tap on that to produce a list of alternatives.
- Choose the alternative you wish to have and click on the “save button.”
- Once this is done, you would have changed the wake word, and you can have Alexa responding to the new awkward in less than 30 seconds.
How To change Alexa’s voice?
Though the voices option available are all female voices, you do have the option to change the accent. The possible accents include
- English (UK)
The steps you have to follow to change Alexa voice are
- Open the Alexa app. You would have used it for initial set up. If you do not have it, you may download it and log in with the password and email id that you have for your Amazon account.
- On tapping the gear icon found at the bottom in the right corner, you can open the settings menu
- If you haven’t given a new name, you will find an echo or echo dot as the name against the device you want to change.
- Tap on the drop-down menu and choose the accent you prefer
- Tap on save changes you will view a warning as to how Alexa would function differently when you choose the different language.
- If you are sure that you want to make the change Tap on yes, change and press the confirm button.
You can change the voice to any other accent or the original accent anytime you want by following the same steps whenever you want to change voice on Alexa.
- Also Read : How to reset Amazon Echo
- Also Read : How to use Alexa as an alarm clock (opens in a new tab)